Thursday, October 22, 2015

Internship perception

I used to be really into this HBO series called The Newsroom. It was about a fictional nightly news network with Jeff Daniels as the leading role. I got most of my insight of how journalism works.

It may seem silly that most of my insights came from a TV show but I was quite surprised how accurate the show was compared to interning at The Times. The main difference between the show and interning are the deadlines. Of course the TV show would not show reporters trying to meet deadlines because it is not interesting for a TV show, but I have learned at The Times that deadlines are IMPORTANT. Reporters at The Times must publish an article everyday, luckily for us interns we only need to publish one or two articles a week.

Even though we only have to publish one or two articles a week it is still very time consuming for us because we do not have the same amount of time work on articles like the Full-time employees have, plus we do not have not gone off to journalism school to master the profession.

I feel if I try my best to manage my time well and think about everything that's going on around me, I would have more ideas for articles so I won't get the occasional blank white screen contemplating what I should write about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment